BISHOP MARSHALL CARTER
was given the name Junior Carter at his birth on August 17, 1920.
He was born in Lilburn (Gwinnett County), GA to the late Mr. Marshall
Carter & Mrs. Lemma Carter. "Junior", in his early life, worked on his
father’s farm. Later became a trained mechanic, a Mason, a veteran of
the United States Marine Corps (World War II), retired from Rheem
Manufacturing Corporation where he was the secretary of the AFL-CIO and
also retired from General Motors Corporation. His name was changed to "Marshall"
(like his father), upon joining the Marines.
His life was forever changed
while working at Briarcliff Laundry. There he met the woman that he
referred to as his "other self", the late Mother Lillie
Fanning Carter. They were joined in Holy Matrimony on November
9, 1940. To this union, four children were born: (1) Patricia Carter
Logan, (2) Dr. Larry Carter, (3) Dr. Myra Carter Warner, and (4) Jayetta
came into holiness in 1952 at the Jones Avenue Church of God in Christ,
under the leadership of the late Bishop George Briley. He served
faithfully as an Ordained Deacon, a Sunday School Superintendent and the
Guitarist. He accepted his call into the ministry in 1956. Minister &
Sister Carter (then) established and organized the Lynwood Park Church
of God in Christ on January 15, 1959 and he was ordained as an Elder in
March, 1959. In 1962, under his leadership, the Lynwood Park Church
erected their first church building. In 1974, Bishop Briley appointed
him as the Superintendent of the Lynwood Park District. In 1976, the
"old" Lynwood Park Church building was torn down and the current
facility was erected and completed in 1977. In 1979, (still using the
title "Superintendent") he organized and incorporated the Church
of God in Christ Incorporated of Georgia as an Independent
Fellowship that would "report to" and remain under the authority of the
Church of God in Christ, headquartered in Memphis, TN. By the end of
1979, pastors from other states wanted to join his organization. Through
much prayer, God led him and his wife to break "ties" with the "Memphis
Body" and establish a Reformation that would bring "Unity" to the Body
of Christ. In obedience to God, the Church of God in Christ
Incorporated of Georgia was dissolved and the United Churches
of God in Christ, Inc. was formed. On January 1, 1980,
Superintendent Marshall Carter was elevated to the
Bishopric and formally installed as the
Apostle & Presiding Bishop of the United Churches of God in Christ, Inc.
Bishop Marshall Carter was a
man of God, whose objectives were: (1) to preach the gospel and
stimulate spiritual growth; (2) to enhance and maintain "his portion" in
God’s vineyard, and (3) to reach lost and wandering sheep, in an effort
to bring them into "the fold".
On Sunday morning, June 22,
2003, while preparing to go to Sunday School, he sat down in his
favorite chair and made his triumphant entrance into his heavenly home.